Monday, June 11, 2012

They Are Peculiar People


We had spent the day driving to Florida, and finally had stopped to rest for the evening.  Upon arriving at the hotel, my cell phone rang.  It was our daughter saying my mother-in-law had called and was worried about us.  It seems she felt she should have heard from us earlier in the evening, and she was worried we were lying dead somewhere along the roadway.  My daughter told her grandmother she could call our cell phone and talk with us.  She said, “I wouldn’t do that.  They are peculiar people.”  That statement made my daughter laugh, and it cracked me up!  While I appreciate her concern for our well-being, we did not feel the need to check in with either of our mothers.  After all, we are well beyond the age where our Momma’s need a progress report of our day.  Oh well, I still think the declaration of how peculiar we are is priceless.  To tell you the truth, she is absolutely correct.  We ARE peculiar people.  One of us is more peculiar than the other, but I’m not calling any names!  This concept of being peculiar, or different, doesn’t bother me.  All of us are different, and we all are special in our own way.  This is no different when dementia is part of the picture.  Just because dementia is changing our loved ones doesn’t mean they are not special and important.  They still have so much to offer and add to life.  Yes, they might be peculiar – just like me – but they are wonderful people who need a little extra attention.  OK – maybe they need a lot of extra attention, but they are worth the effort.



No comments:

Post a Comment