Monday, June 10, 2013

DEMENTIA AND PLAYING


If you are like me, you don’t have enough hours in the day to accomplish the many tasks that are required.  Having time to play would be an oddity of sorts.  While driving home this week, I noticed this lady and her young son jumping in and out of a puddle of water that accumulated after a morning rain.  They were having so much fun, and I just had to stop and talk with her.
I am impressed how this young mother did two very important things.   
1.    She took time to play with her son.  I am sure she had more pressing matters that could have grabbed her attention, but playing with her handsome little boy became her priority.
2.   She didn’t spend a dime, but she brought so much happiness to her son’s days and her day, also.
What can we learn from this in regards to dementia and playing?  Play with your loved one who has dementia.  Maybe they like to beat you at Rummy. (I think my sister is a little surprised how Momma can beat her almost every time they pull out the cards!)  Maybe they enjoy puzzles.  Maybe they like going for a walk.  Maybe it is rummaging through the treasures at a consignment shop or thrift store.  Whatever it is they enjoy, make some time this week to participate with them in the activity.
For Momma, my sister, and myself, we are planning a rip-roaring Sunday afternoon of Rummy and homemade vegan pizza.  Want to join us?
Hope that gives you SOMETHING TO PONDER.

No comments:

Post a Comment