Saturday, September 15, 2012

Alabama Meets New York City


Music Therapy is my favorite!  Senior Life Journeys offers three services.  I enjoy one-on-one life coaching with families traveling the journey of dementia.  I am thrilled to have the opportunity to speak to groups.  (I don’t mind being the center of attention, and I am even brave enough to admit it!)  Lastly, I offer Music Therapy in senior centers, adult day cares, adult residential homes, Memory Care facilities, assisted livings, or anywhere there are seniors or individuals with health and cognitive issues.  It is an absolute thrill to observe the change in expression when these wonderful people SING!

 (This picture shows my momma holding John Boy, and Shirley (a fabulous soprano in my choir) holding Marilyn.  Momma was laughing so hard, she just about cried!)

My pianist, Becky, decided we needed to add puppets to our therapy.  At first I wasn’t too excited.  Then I met John Boy and Marilyn.  I would love to tell you about them.

John Boy is a good old country boy from Alabama.  He grew up on a farm, knows the value of a dollar, understands hard work, and just happens to be madly, deeply, and truly in love with Marilyn.

Marilyn is from New York City.  She loves The Big Apple, has never worn a pair of cowboy boots in her life, would not be caught dead with dirt under her well-manicured nails, and just happens to think John Boy is one more “hunky” man.  (Hunky is Marilyn’s word – not mine!)

John Boy and Marilyn tag along with Becky and me as we do Music Therapy.  They sometimes get into discussions about Marilyn’s problem constantly losing her glasses, or John Boy’s workaholic tendencies, but they always end with a love song.

John Boy and Marilyn bring smiles, music, laughter and dancing.  They are teaching me to smile, sing, laugh, and dance every day of my life.  Now that's a good plan.  Hope that gives you Something To Ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment