Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Dementia Is Progressing


It was 2006 when Momma was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s type dementia.  The doctor, whom I refer to as “Dr. Wrong” (because I did not like him), called and announced Momma’s diagnosis over the phone.  He then advised he would call in some medication, and I was instructed to call him if I needed anything.  I was shocked in more ways than one.


I was shocked at Momma’s diagnosis.  Grandma Carpenter had died of Alzheimer’s, and I was extremely frightened at what the future may hold for Momma.  I was shocked, secondly, at this doctor’s method of delivering this news.  It was so impersonal and very cold.

That was seven years ago, and this week Momma said, “I think my dementia is getting worse.”  It was difficult to hear those words, but she is correct.  She seems to be asking the same question more frequently, and her sense of being aware of the “what, when and where” of life has been less sharp.  She is still my Momma.  She still has all the love for my sisters and me that she ever had.  She still wants to be a part of our lives.  She enjoys her life.

The day may come when all that changes.  I’m not ready for that day.  What I know is this.  With the help of those I love, the encouragement of other professionals, my Momma’s life will be the best life she can have.  After all, isn’t that what we want for everyone we love?  I hope that gives you Something To Ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment