Monday, October 1, 2012

He Was A Minister-She Was A Lawyer


My choir participants have been especially talkative this week.  It seems they had stories that needed to be told, and I was happy to stop and listen.

We all like to tell stories when we have an audience that is engaged.  It is my pleasure to be that “engaged audience” for my senior citizen friends.  It amazes me the life these folks have led.  Even though I know better, I sometimes forget the person I see is not the person they were 20, 30, 40, or even 50 years ago.  These folks have life experiences, histories, and stories.

While talking with one man, I learned he was a Baptist minister and later a Methodist minister.  He also ministered to twelve troubled young men at a group home.  This is impressive, to say the least.

One lady, who presently enjoys humming and eating cookies all of her awake hours, surprised me with the news of her past career.  She was a successful lawyer in Louisiana.  I was amazed to realize the success this lady had achieved.

When you are blessed to be in the presence of senior citizens, take a few minutes to learn about their life.  Ask about their previous career, how many children they have, where they lived, and so on.  They may or may not remember.  If they do not remember, they will say so, or they will make up a story.  Either way, you have spent time with an individual who has a story to tell.

That, my friend, will give you Something To Ponder.


No comments:

Post a Comment